Grant Park is bounded by Atlanta Ave., Sydney St., Cherokee Ave. and Boulevard S.E. The land for this 131-acre park was donated in 1883 by Col. Lemuel Pratt Grant, a civil engineer and philanthropist who gave the land to the city with strict stipulations that it must always be used as a city park and be open to everyone. Grant Park’s nickname is “The People’s Playground.”
The park grounds, which encompass Fort Walker and Zoo Atlanta, feature walking paths, historic structures and native plantings. A tour of the surrounding Historic District and a tour of the L.P. Grant antebellum mansion are offered by the Atlanta Preservation Center. A Sunday farmers market, jct. Cherokee and Milledge aves. in front of Milledge Fountain, offers more than 40 vendors selling local products, arts and crafts activities, and cooking demonstrations by local chefs.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.