Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, 222 E. Harris St. at Abercorn St., is a Gothic-style cathedral completed in 1896, then rebuilt in 1899 after a severe fire. One of the largest cathedrals in the South, it features marble railings, floors and altar. In addition there are murals, stained-glass windows, large carved-wood stations of the cross, and a solid white-oak 2,081-pipe Noack tracker organ.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.