State Capitol, bordered by Jefferson, W. State, 6th and 8th sts., is Boise's most treasured public building. The Idaho sandstone exterior base is carved to resemble logs—a tribute to pioneer cabins. Vermont and Georgian marble and handcrafted scagliola (imitation marble) dominate the bright interior spaces of all four floors of the rotunda.
Begun in 1905, the five-part neoclassical building that motorists see while approaching from Capitol Boulevard was finished in 1920. A restored 5-foot-tall statue of a golden eagle sits atop the Capitol dome 208 feet above street level.