Elgin History Museum is 1 mi. s. on SR 25, then .5 mi. w. to 360 Park St. The museum is housed in an 1856 neoclassical building that once was home to Elgin Academy, one of the oldest preparatory schools in the Midwest. One exhibit offers a chronological look at Elgin's development from its settlement period in the 1830s to the 20th century. Displays about the history of the Elgin National Watch Co., Elgin Road Race memorabilia, Elgin Architecture exhibit and other items that relate the area's past also are included. Temporary exhibits are offered. The site is the headquarters for the Elgin Area Historical Society.