Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate, 1.5 mi. s.e. at the corner of Sycamore Rd. and Richmond Rd. (E. Main St.), was the estate of “The Great Compromiser,” Henry Clay, from 1806 until his death in 1852. Named for the large number of ash trees that graced the property, the stately home is surrounded by gardens and woods. The 18-room mansion is furnished with Clay family possessions.
The original house was replaced by Clay’s son James in 1856 with a new structure built on the same foundation and with a similar floor plan. The interior of the two-story brick house reflects the Victorian style popular during the late 19th century. Early 19th-century outbuildings on the grounds include icehouses, a smokehouse, a dairy cellar and privy. Also on the grounds are a carriage presented to Clay by the citizens of Newark, N.J., and a formal garden. One-hour guided tours and a 12-minute video are offered.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.