Fort Scott National Historic Site covers about 17 acres on Old Fort Blvd. on the northern edge of downtown. Established in 1842, the fort was built on a bluff overlooking the Marmaton River. Twenty historic structures—which include the post headquarters, officers’ quarters, enlisted men’s barracks, hospital, bakery, stables, guardhouse, powder magazine and quartermaster’s storehouse—have been restored and furnished in period.
Exhibits explain the fort’s history, including its role in westward expansion, the Bleeding Kansas era, the Civil War and protecting what was then considered the Permanent Indian Frontier.
Ratings and Reviews are the subjective opinion of individual consumers, travel agents or travel counselors and not the opinion of the American Automobile Association ”AAA” or AAA Clubs. Neither AAA nor AAA Clubs shall be held liable for any damages resulting from display or use of these ratings or reviews.