Shreveport Water Works Museum is at 142 N. Common St. The museum is at the McNeill Street Pumping Station, which was built in 1887 as Shreveport's first water works. The station was the country's last operating steam-powered water works when its steam engines were finally retired in 1980. The water works is also noted for being among the first in the United States to utilize filtration and chlorination. The station's pumps, filters and holding tanks can be seen.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.