AAA Editor Notes
Jackson Square is in the heart of the French Quarter between Decatur and Chartres sts. Called the Plaza de Armas by the Spanish, the place for public meetings and celebrations was renamed for Gen. Andrew Jackson, hero of the Battle of New Orleans, after the battle in 1815. His equestrian statue, erected in 1856, stands at the center; on the northwestern side is Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis King of France, flanked by The Cabildo, the Pontalba Buildings and The Presbytère.
The historic center of the city, Jackson Square also is the Quarter's unofficial Left Bank. Sidewalk artists and street performers draw daily crowds. The perimeter streets are blocked to traffic, and no pets, drones or bicycles are allowed.