AAA Editor Notes
St. Charles Avenue Streetcar can be boarded at stops along St. Charles Ave. and from the main boarding location at jct. Carondelet and Canal sts. The oldest continuously running street railway, the streetcar is now part of the municipal transit system. The line itself was built in 1835 to connect New Orleans with the city of Carrollton; the 35 olive-green trolley cars date 1923-24.
The 13-mile line runs between Canal Street (near the French Quarter) along St. Charles Avenue to its junction with Carrollton and Claiborne avenues with stops every 2 blocks. It passes the Garden District, the campuses of Tulane and Loyola universities and Audubon Park.
When the streetcar reaches the end of the line (junction of Canal Street and St. Charles Avenue or junction of Carrollton and Claiborne avenues), passengers must exit the car, reboard and pay an additional fare for the return trip; transfers cannot be used. Streetcar fare does not include hop on/off service; the full fare must be paid for each reboarding.