The Forks, at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers at 1 Forks Market Rd. at jct. Waterfront Dr., has been a meeting place for more than 6,000 years, beginning with the aboriginal peoples. By virtue of location the 23-hectare (56-acre) site evolved into the center of the European fur trade in the 1730s. Métis, natives and eventually European settlers created a community along the rivers.
Now Winnipeg's main gathering spot, The Forks is a favorite place for shopping, dining, entertainment and outdoor fun. Attractions include the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, The Forks Market food hall, The Forks National Historic Site, The Children's Museum, a playground and a skateboarding park. Also on the grounds are sculptures, walking paths, restored railcars and a public amphitheater. Johnston Terminal, 25 Forks Market Rd., is a renovated railway cold storage warehouse that now houses shops and an antique mall; phone (204) 947-1250.
The Riverwalk, open in summer depending on water levels, follows the water's edge from The Forks to the Manitoba Legislature Building through downtown Winnipeg. Canoes can be rented seasonally at The Forks Historic Port. Concerts and special events take place at The Forks throughout the year. The Travel Manitoba Visitor Information Centre at The Forks provides information about events and attractions around the province.