St. John's College, 60 College Ave., is a four-year liberal arts school enrolling about 500 students. Two graduate degree programs also are offered. The college received its charter in 1784, succeeding the 1696 King William's School. Francis Scott Key was among the students of St. John's.
The Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Gallery displays changing exhibits during the academic year. McDowell Hall was begun in 1742 as the Colonial governor's mansion, but it was never completed as such.
The college offered a traditional liberal arts education until 1937 when it adopted a curriculum based on study of the classics. Students follow the same interdisciplinary program; they read and discuss classics in philosophy, literature, theology, history, political science, economics, mathematics and laboratory sciences. Faculty members participate in these small, seminar-style classes instead of lecturing or focusing on grades.