Fort Osage is off US 24 heading n. via CR BB (Sibley Rd.). The fort is a restoration of the first U.S. outpost in the Louisiana Purchase Territory. The factory building, dating from 1808, was originally a Native American trading house and contains original early 19th-century furnishings. A museum has exhibits illustrating the trading post's operation, the role of the fort and the lifestyle of the Osage Indian tribe. A 19th-century blacksmith shop and a trade shop display goods typical of the era also can be seen.