Saint Louis Art Museum stands atop Art Hill at One Fine Arts Dr., within Forest Park. Built to house the Palace of Fine Arts pavilion at the 1904 World's Fair, this Beaux Arts-style building was designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert and is guarded by the heroic statue of The Apotheosis of St. Louis. The permanent collection comprises more than 30,000 works of art covering nearly every culture and time period, including Oceanic art, Pre-Columbian art, ancient Chinese bronzes, and European and American art from the late 19th through 20th centuries. There is a special emphasis on 20th-century German art and the works of Missouri artist George Caleb Bingham.
Lectures, performances, films, classes and family programs are all offered. Major touring exhibitions are presented regularly.