St. Louis Public Library's Central Library is at 1301 Olive St. Completed in 1912 with the help of funding from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the Beaux Arts-style building was designed by architect Cass Gilbert. Its ornate interior features marble staircases, beautiful stained-glass windows, hand-painted ceilings, extravagant chandeliers and torchiere lamps made of marble and alabaster. The distinctive glass-floored stacks were removed and replaced by a four-story atrium as part of an extensive renovation celebrating the library's centennial.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.