LaPointe-Krebs House (The Old Spanish Fort) is n. off US 90; take Pascagoula St. to Lake Ave., following signs. Although not originally Spanish, nor a fort, this 1757 building is believed to be the oldest structure confirmed by science in the Mississippi Valley. The adjacent museum houses Native American, colonial and 19th-century artifacts as well as historic images and documents. The grounds and a cemetery overlook Krebs Lake.
Note: The museum is open, but the historic structure is still undergoing renovations from 2005 hurricane damage; phone ahead for updated information.