AAA Editor Notes
Fort Nonsense, off Ann St. near Western Ave., was built on a hill overlooking Morristown at Washington's order in 1777 as a defense for supplies stored in the village. The fort had cannons to protect the town below and the main roads leading north and south. Legend has it that the fort's name derived from Washington's intent to keep his troops busy, thus preventing idleness and desertion. Visitors will see a cannon, waysides describing historical events and an outline of the fort.