Old Fort Niagara State Historic Site, adjacent to the Fort Niagara State Park grounds, was begun by the French in 1726. Active under three flags, the fort contains many mounted cannons, a hot shot furnace, a drawbridge and pre-revolution buildings. The site includes the only fortified French castle in the United States; it has been restored and furnished to re-create its stark 18th-century atmosphere. Musket demonstrations and living history programs are presented daily. Re-enactments are held throughout the year.
The museum contains exhibits related to the fort's involvement in the French and Indian wars, American Revolution and War of 1812, including weapons, military clothing and furniture. A visitors center displays a rare American flag captured by the British at the fort in 1813.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.