AAA Editor Notes
Campus Martius Museum is at Second St. and Washington St./SR 7, 1 blk. e. of the Ohio River Museum. Early settlers of Marietta built the fortification to protect the settlement from Native American attacks known as Campus Martius, Latin for “Field of Mars,” the military camp where the legions of ancient Rome trained. Exhibits re-create the founding and early development of Marietta as the first organized American settlement in the Northwest Territory. Exhibits and artifacts focusing on Appalachian migration into Ohio 1850-1970 are included. The museum encloses the Rufus Putnam House, home to the settlement's leader, and the only surviving dwelling of the original settlement.