Whitehern Historic House and Garden, 41 Jackson St. W., was the home of three generations of the McQuesten family 1852-1968. The family developed the town's first foundry, established the Royal Botanical Gardens, helped relocate McMaster University to Hamilton and restored Fort Henry and the Niagara Parks. In 1968, surviving family members bequeathed to home and all its contents to the city. An excellent example of 19th-century Georgian architecture, the house contains original furnishings, toys, family memorabilia and ornamental gardens. Costumed interpreters lead guided tours.