Fort Hunter Mansion and Park is 6 mi. n. at 5300 N. Front St. overlooking the Susquehanna River Valley. Built in 1787 on the site of old Fort Hunter and enlarged in 1814, the stone house is decorated with 19th-century items including pewter, pitchers, furniture, costumes and toys. The dwelling retains the original fireplace. A 35-acre park surrounds the mansion and includes an 1881 covered bridge, other historic buildings, playgrounds and nature trails.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.