Congress Hall, 6th and Chestnut sts. within Independence National Historical Park, was built 1787-89 as the Philadelphia County Court House but was occupied by the U.S. Congress 1790-1800 until Congress was moved to Washington, D.C. On the first floor is the chamber of the House of Representatives; the second floor contains the elaborate chamber of the Senate and various committee rooms. The hall was the setting for the inaugurations of George Washington (his second) and John Adams.
Note: Access requires visitors to pass through security screening.
Daily 9-5. Guided tours depart every 20 to 30 minutes, Mar.-Dec.; self-guiding tours (rangers are available to answer questions) are available rest of year. Closed major holidays. Phone ahead to confirm schedule.