Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site (Lieu historique national de Coteau-du-Lac) is 1.5 km (.9 mi.) s. off Hwy. 20 exit 17, then 2 km (1.2 mi.) s. on rue Principale to 308 A ch. du Fleuve. This was the location of Canada's first lock canal, built in 1779. During the War of 1812, a British military post was built here; it defended the site until the mid-19th century. Of interest are the remaining canal and fortifications foundations as well as a reconstructed octagonal blockhouse that contains historical items.