Lévis Forts National Historic Site (Lieu historique national des Forts-de-Lévis) is on the s. shore of the St. Lawrence River, .5 km (.3 mi.) n. of jct. rue Mgr Ignace Bourget and Hwy. 132. One of three British detached forts built 1865-72 on the heights of Pointe-Lévy, Fort No. 1 was meant to protect the city of Québec from an invasion by the United States following the American Civil War.
The Treaty of Washington between the United States and England, signed in 1871, settled the disagreements between the two countries. Consequently none of the forts ever housed a garrison.
Tours highlight 19th-century military architecture, cannons, the powder magazine, vaulted caponiers, the shooting gallery and massive terrepleins.
The restored Fort No. 1 offers both guided and self-guiding tours that are available in English.