Hunter House, 54 Washington St., was built in 1748 by Jonathan Nichols, a sea merchant and Colonial deputy, and served as the headquarters of the Chevalier de Ternay, admiral over the French naval forces during the American Revolution. The restored house, an outstanding example of Colonial architecture, features fine 18th-century Newport-crafted Townsend-Goddard furniture. Period paintings, paneling and silver as well as a Colonial garden grace the estate.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.