Kingscote is at 253 Bellevue Ave. The 1841 Gothic Revival-style house, designed for planter George Noble Jones of Savannah, Ga., was the first summer residence to be built in this section of Newport. William Henry King bought the house in 1864 and commissioned architect Stanford White to design additions to it in 1881.
The wooden house, which has interesting towers, gables, eaves and arches, also features a dining room designed by White with a cork ceiling. Light spilling through a Tiffany glass wall illuminates the cherry and mahogany dining room. In addition to heavy Victorian furniture, Kingscote contains fine Oriental paintings, rugs and porcelain as well as Townsend-Goddard furniture.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.