Marble House, 596 Bellevue Ave., was built in 1892 for William K. and Alva Vanderbilt and is one of the most sumptuous of Newport's mansions. The house cost $11 million to build and furnish. Designed by Richard Morris Hunt, the columned white mansion was modeled after the Petit Trianon of Versailles.
The most elaborate room of this gold-and-marble edifice is the salon, with its carved and gilded woodwork, chandeliers and large ceiling painting. Also of interest are the grand staircase and the Gothic Room. The Harold S. Vanderbilt Memorial Room features yachting trophies and memorabilia. On the grounds is a restored 1914 Chinese teahouse. The house is decorated for the holidays mid-November through January 1. An audio tour is available.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.