Maryhill Museum of Art is 2.7 mi. w. of US 97 at 35 Maryhill Museum Dr. The museum occupies an ornate mansion built by Northwest entrepreneur Samuel Hill. Although dedicated by Queen Marie of Romania in 1926, it did not open until 1940. European and American paintings are complemented by a collection of Auguste Rodin sculptures and watercolors and 18th-century Russian icons.
Other highlights include Hill photographs and memorabilia, Native American basketry and artifacts, the 1945 Théâtre de la Mode French fashion mannequin gallery, international chess sets and personal items donated by Queen Marie, including items by Fabergé. The works displayed in the Special Exhibitions Gallery are changed during the season.
The 5,300-acre grounds include an outdoor sculpture garden and a Lewis & Clark overlook with interpretive panels.
Storage galleries allow visitors a glimpse of the museum's Art Nouveau glass collection. Events, including lectures, art workshops and concerts, are offered throughout the season.