DescriptionCanby was platted in 1870 with the arrival of the railroad from Portland. The town was named for Brig. Gen. Edward Richard Sprigg Canby, who perished at the Modoc War peace council near Klamath Falls in 1873. He served in the Seminole, Civil and Mexican-American wars and was a friend of Oregon & California Railroad chief Ben Holladay.
Today, Canby is a trading center for the surrounding farming district, which is noted for its fruit orchard crops, hops, nursery products and flowers. Swan Island Dahlias, just west of town, is the country's largest dahlia grower and features 40 acres of blooms in late summer and early fall.
Visitor InfoCanby Area Chamber of Commerce 191 S.E. 2nd Ave. CANBY, OR 97013. Phone:(503)266-4600
Things to SeeCanby Depot Museum