In 1826 French-Canadian fur trader Alexander Faribault established the largest of his trading posts at the site of present-day Faribault, but it wasn't until 1853 that the settlement's first frame dwelling was built. The outpost became a center for Native American missions after Henry Whipple, the first Episcopal bishop of Minnesota, established a church and school here in 1859.
The Ivan Whillock Studio is at 122 First Ave. N.E.; the limestone building in which it is located is one of the oldest in the state. Woodcarvings and sculptures by this award-winning artist are on display; phone (507) 334-8306.
Faribault Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism 530 Wilson Ave. FARIBAULT, MN 55021. Phone:(507)334-4381 or (800)658-2354
Brochures outlining walking and driving tours of the historic district are for sale at the chamber of commerce.