DescriptionThe Harmonie Society, a German religious communal group, moved to Indiana in 1814, purchased 30,000 acres of forest land and built a planned town in the Indiana wilderness within a year of their arrival. They perfected a cosmopolitan and efficient community 1814-24.
By 1824 more than 150 structures were built and the town marketed 20 different products as far away as Pittsburgh and New Orleans. Per-capita income and cultural amenities in the town rivaled those of eastern cities.
The following year Welsh philanthropist Robert Owen and geologist and philanthropist William Maclure bought the settlement from founder George Rapp and tried to organize a model community where educational and social equality would prosper.
Naturalists, educators, geologists and feminists all came to New Harmony, and their pioneering contributions to education, geology, trade schools and women's suffrage had national importance.
The New Harmony Theatre, at 419 Tavern St., offers summer productions mid-June to early August; phone (812) 682-3115.
ShoppingThe historic downtown area offers a number of stores selling crafts, antiques, home and garden accessories and fine art.
Things to SeeAtheneum