DescriptionEarly settlement was rapid and constant in Lamar County, where Paris is situated. Between 1824, when John Emberson built the first house along the banks of the Red River, and 1837, when Claiborne Chisum purchased land west of the present city, many families moved to the area from Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.
The county straddles the ridge of the Red and Sulphur rivers, with their many creeks and tributaries. Furs as well as goods from New Orleans and Shreveport, La., were shipped up the Red River in flatboats and paddle wheelers and then transported overland by wagon and oxcart.
In 1844 the Central National Road of the Republic of Texas was cut through the county, intersecting the city. Markers on US 82 and CR 195 denote the historic route. With the coming of such railroads as the Texas and Pacific in 1876, the Gulf Colorado, the Santa Fe and the Paris and Great Northern in 1888, the Texas Midland in 1895 and the Paris and Mount Pleasant in 1910, the town emerged as a rail center.
John Chisum, a local cattle baron, expanded into New Mexico, pioneering cattle trails from Fort Sumner to Las Animas and Tascosa. These routes are known as “Chisum Trails.” A monument marks his gravesite at the railroad tracks southwest of town. Twelve miles north is the 8,000-acre Pat Mayse Lake recreation area .
Visitor InfoParis Visitors and Convention Council 8 W. Plaza PARIS, TX 75460. Phone:(903)784-2501 or (800)727-4789
Self-guiding toursMaps and brochures for driving tours of Paris and the surrounding countryside are available from the visitors and convention council.
Things to SeeSam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site