DescriptionLocated on the Willamette River between the Coastal Mountain range to the west and the Cascades to the east, Corvallis lives up to its Latin name meaning “heart of the valley.” It is one of the state's leading centers of commerce, culture and education.
Established in 1857, Corvallis has a variety of period buildings in its historic district. Of particular interest is the 1888 Benton County Courthouse; it is one of the oldest courthouses in Oregon still in use. Irish Bend Covered Bridge is .5 miles west of S.W. 35th Street on S.W. Campus Way. Built in 1954, it was moved to its present site across Oak Creek and restored in 1988. The bridge is now part of a scenic walkway between 35th and 53rd streets and is no longer open to vehicles.
The 5,325-acre William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge, 6 miles south off SR 99W, provides habitat for a large population of migratory Canada geese, ducks and swans.
InfoOfficeVisit Corvallis (Corvallis Tourism) 420 N.W. Second St. Corvallis, OR 97330. Phone:(541)757-1544 or (800)334-8118
Self-guiding toursBrochures outlining driving, bicycling and walking tours of the region and highlighting local wineries, covered bridges and historic sites are available from the tourism office Mon.-Fri. 9-5 and Sat. 10-3.