DescriptionDouglas, on the Mexican border, began as the site of annual roundups for surrounding ranches. The town was founded in 1901 by a copper-smelting company and is now a center for commerce, manufacturing, agriculture and tourism.
The Gadsden Hotel, 1046 G Ave., was built in 1906 and has a high-ceilinged lobby with a mural of Tiffany stained glass and a curving staircase. Of interest in the vicinity are many ghost towns and mining camps as well as shopping and sightseeing opportunities in nearby Agua Prieta, Mexico.
InfoOfficeDouglas Visitors Center 345 16th St. Douglas, AZ 85607. Phone:(520)417-7344
Self-guiding toursMaps detailing self-guiding historical tours of Douglas are available at the visitor center.
Attraction PlaceHoldersSlaughter Ranch Museum (San Bernardino Ranch National Historic Landmark)