Summer action abounds with horseback riding, white-water rafting, golfing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking and fishing, all of which can make for an adventure-packed day. And the winter has no shortage of activities either; skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, dog sledding, skating, ice fishing and snowmobiling are among the options. For the more adventurous, there is skijoring (a skier being pulled by a horse or a dog), fat biking and ice climbing.AAA / Inspector 450
Kananaskis Village, located near the site of the alpine skiing events for the 1988 Winter Olympics, has multiple local hotels and activities. The AAA Four Diamond Kananaskis Mountain Lodge, Autograph Collection
is the epicenter for most of the facilities in the village. The latest addition to the complex is the Kananaskis Nordic Spa, where a Scandinavian hydrotherapy program features a sauna, steam cabins, hot and cold plunge pools and hammocks in a year-round outdoor setting. Also nearby is the famed Kananaskis Country Golf Course.AAA / Inspector 450
There are plenty of tour companies offering a variety of activities in the area. The family-run Boundary Ranch and Guinn Outfitters, located just a few kilometers from Kananaskis Village, is noted for horseback riding, but they offer all kinds of packages and adventure travel experiences.
AAA / Inspector 450
How to Spend a Summer Day in Kananaskis Country
• Option No. 1: Start the morning with a round of golf at the Kananaskis Country Golf Course. Have lunch at the clubhouse, then walk to the viewpoint at Kananaskis Village. Head to Boundary Ranch for a horseback ride in the afternoon.
• Option No. 2: Double down at Boundary Ranch with a horseback ride in the morning and an afternoon white-water rafting adventure. Barbecue lunch is included.
• Option No. 3: Do the easy and picturesque hike (about 4 km) to Troll Falls near Nakiska, or take the Lake Trail along the north side of Barrier Lake. There are a plethora of other nearby hikes including challenging options that involve rock climbing. Get a picnic lunch at the Market Café in the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge or at the concessions in the Village Center. After lunch, rent a bike at Kananaskis Outfitters and follow the paved 10-km (6.2 mi.) route to Wedge Pond (or ask them about some of the more challenging bike trails).
• Bonus things to do: Rent a canoe, kayak or paddleboard from Barrier Lake Boat Rentals.AAA / Inspector 450
The Perfect Winter Day in Kananaskis Country
• Option No. 1: Spend the morning cross-country skiing on the trails at Ribbon Creek or Evan-Thomas and Wedge Pond. Have lunch at the stylish Blacktail Bar in the lobby of the Kananaskis Mountain Lodge before indulging in a massage and taking in the hydrotherapy at the Kananaskis Nordic Spa.
• Option No. 2: Enjoy a full day of skiing and snowboarding at Nakiska Ski Resort.AAA / Inspector 450
Take Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 west to Hwy. 40 (exit 118), then travel south 23 km (14.3 mi.) to turn off for Kananaskis Village.AAA
Start Your Next Vacation with AAA
AAA Travel provides peace of mind when you travel—before, during and after your vacation! Members enjoy the advantages of membership including exclusive benefits, savings, map routing and travel planning, plus additional travel needs such as AAA Travel Guides
, TourBook® guides, passport photos, International Driving Permits
and travel insurance. Your next vacation starts with AAA—your complete travel solution. Visit AAA.com/Travel
AAA Inspector 450
AAA Inspector 450 is an AAA Travel Expert.
Travel Like an Expert with AAA and Trip Canvas
Get Ideas from the Pros
As one of the largest travel agencies in North America, we have a wealth of recommendations to share! Browse our articles and videos for inspiration, or dive right in with preplanned AAA Road Trips, cruises and vacation tours.
Build and Research Your Options
Save and organize every aspect of your trip including cruises, hotels, activities, transportation and more. Book hotels confidently using our AAA Diamond Designations and verified reviews.
Book Everything in One Place
From cruises to day tours, buy all parts of your vacation in one transaction, or work with our nationwide network of AAA Travel Agents to secure the trip of your dreams!