DescriptionDuring the Texas Revolution, Gonzales citizens were the first to challenge the Mexicans. Rather than return a small brass cannon the Mexicans had left as protection against Native Americans, the community unfurled the first Lone Star battle flag—with the words “Come and Take It”—and used the cannon to fire the first shots of the revolution Oct. 2, 1835. The First Shot Monument is 7 miles southwest on SR 97.
The Gonzales Pioneer Village Living History Center , 2122 N. St. Joseph St., is a 12-acre site featuring restored 19th-century buildings on 7 acres, including log houses, a church, a smithy and a smokehouse. Phone (830) 672-2157.
InfoOfficeGonzales Chamber of Commerce 414 St. Lawrence St. Gonzales, TX 78629. Phone:(830)672-6532 or (888)672-1095
Self-guiding toursMaps of historic points in Gonzales County can be obtained from the chamber of commerce.