Devil's Den, off Warren Ave. and just w. of Little Round Top within Gettysburg National Military Park, is a group of huge boulders from which Capt. James Smith's Union troops were driven in Gen. James Longstreet's attack July 2, 1863. The Union soldiers thought they would be at an advantage at this height, but with little room at the top, only four of their six guns could be used and there was very little space left for ammunition supplies or infantry. The Confederate troops eventually attacked from three directions at the same time, and after much fighting, the Confederates took control of the site.
A barricade used by Confederate sharpshooters who fired on Little Round Top still can be seen.