How (and Why) to Get an International Driving Permit from AAA
By AAA Travel Editors | June 01, 2023
You'll need an international driver's license if you're planning to drive in other countries. Learn how to get an international driving permit (IDP) from AAA.
Why & when you might need one
Here are the 3 main reasons to carry an International Driving Permit:
• It’s valid in most countries. Some countries don’t recognize U.S. driver’s licenses, but do recognize IDPs.
• It can reduce language barriers. An IDP will show your name and driver information translated in 10 languages.
• It might be needed to rent a car. Some countries require an IDP in order for visitors to rent a vehicle.
Each country has its own requirements for foreign visitors who want to drive. Some, like Canada, recognize U.S. driver’s licenses. Others require an IDP, and a few require separate documents.
That’s why AAA recommends bringing an IDP along with your U.S. driver’s license to help avoid many potential hassles, especially if you’re traveling in a country where English is not the primary language. Even if an IDP isn’t required, you may encounter traffic police or other officials who can’t read your U.S. license but can read one of the IDP’s 10 other languages.Not sure what the rules are where you’ll be traveling? Ask your AAA travel advisor at a in person or over the phone.
Do Americans need an IDP in Canada or Mexico?
Nope! U.S. driver’s licenses are considered valid by Canada and Mexico for visitors on short-term tourist trips. (You’ll still need your passport to enter either country, whether or not you’re driving. Learn how to apply for or renew your passport.)
U.S. auto insurance is also valid in Canada as long as you’re only visiting, but if you are driving your own vehicle into Mexico, you will need to buy Mexico liability auto insurance. The U.S. liability insurance you already have is invalid in Mexico.
How to get an IDP
AAA is one of only two organizations authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue International Driving Permits in the United States. AAA issues IDPs to the public; you don’t need to be a member to get an IDP from AAA.You can apply for an IDP from in person or by mail. You’ll need:
• A completed IDP application. Pick one up at a AAA branch or download and print one
• 2 original passport-size photos with your signature on the back (need photos?)
• A check or money order for the $20 application fee, plus tax where applicable
• A current driver’s license from your home state or U.S. territory (or a photocopy of both sides if applying by mail)To apply by mail, send your completed application, fee, and a photocopy of both sides of your driver’s license to . Allow 10 days for delivery.
• If you are currently overseas, you can apply for an IDP by sending the materials listed above to:
AAA/IDP // Attn: Mailstop #28 // 1000 AAA Drive // Heathrow, FL 32746
• IMPORTANT: An IDP is only valid when accompanied by your physical U.S. driver’s license.
• You must be at least 18 to apply for an IDP.
• IDPs are valid for 1 year and aren’t renewable.
Looking for the IDP application?
AAA International Driving Permit applications are available at any full-service AAA branch, or you can download and fill out the application to take with you or apply by mail.
BACK TO TOP
Need passport-size photos for your IDP?
Get a set of 2 passport photos at any AAA branch.* You can conveniently get your IDP in person during the same visit.
• Classic members pay $10 plus tax
• AAA Plus® members pay $8 plus tax
• AAA Premier® members pay $5 plus tax
• Non-members pay $15 plus tax
*Passport photo fee is subject to change without notice and at any time.